Sunday 8 September 2013

My Travels to La Setmana del Llibre en Català, or Catalan Book Week (6-15 Septmeber 2013)

Clearly a very tempting book to purchase

If you've come across this blog, you may already know that I'm a reading nerd. One of the extreme variety, who is attracted to the slightest mention of anything literary.

When I first arrived here in Barcelona, they had already begun advertising La Setmana del Llibre en Català, or Catalan Book Week; an event that was clearly prioritised in the minds of the Barcelona Town hall judging by the presence of adverts on ninety-five percent of lampposts on any given street. 

Barri Gòtic
I looked up the Book Week online and was rewarded with images of books and day-to-day schedules packed with poetry readings, book-related talks, and stalls selling every Catalan book you could possibly need. This would be the perfect way to involve myself in Catalan culture without feeling too far from home, I thought!

I researched the details and found I could go to the Jaume I Metro station and then walk up to the Cathedral, where the Book Week was centred. It all seemed easy enough.

My first attempt to see the event was yesterday, on its second day. Getting the Metro was plain-sailing, and I had a lovely wander through the haunting, mediaeval alleyways of El Call as planned. It had started drizzling soon after I got off the Metro, but I wasn't too fussed about it. This was Spain after all; the sun would soon make a dazzling reappearance! I was ignorant of the drizzle as I took a few select photos of the area, and I soon came across the Cathedral. Perfect!

As soon as I got my camera out the real rain started. People started rushing indoors, but I wasn't put off and I waited for some sightseers to move so I could take a photo or two. I told myself, "I'm English, what could a bit of rain do to me?" 

Two photos were all I could manage before the downpour came. The Book Week stalls would have been merely around the corner, but it was not to be. I headed for the Metro at a reasonable pace, and then I started doing what could only be described as running. I was drenched.

A photo of Barcelona Cathedral taken during pouring rain (somehow you
cannot see it!)

Going down the steps to the Metro I thought I'd meet a herd of other tourists who were soaked through, but it turned out I was the only one. People started staring, and even more so when I got on the train. Makeup everywhere, the odd curl of hair glued to my forehead, shoes squealching: I was a mess. A mess that hadn't seen any books and had barely five photos to document my adventure.

The second attempt today was far more successful. In fact, it was easy. I worried momentarily that I couldn't find the Cathedral again, but seconds later I walked around a corner and saw a multitude of temporary wooden constructions filled with books. This would be it then.

La Setmana del Llibre en Català, located by Barcelona Cathedral 6-15 September

I loved seeing what each stall held, and the books on offer included fiction, children's books, Catalan history, and so much in-between. I particularly wanted a collection of Salvador Espriu's poems, largely because this year is the celebration of his work, and I eventually found one at the sensible price of €9.95. It also came with a complementary bookmark thrown in the bag, much to my excitement.

I listened for a few minutes to what seemed to be a a talk on Catalan poetry, and I could see various dramatic interpretations and poetry recitals going on while I meandered through the book stands. Hopefully I'll be able to go back at least once in the next few days and properly enjoy what the vast programme of the event has on offer, but today I just wanted to get a feel for it.

Aren't these great? The Elmer book towards the bottom right was a particular favourite.

All in all a great visit to a really well-thought-out celebration of reading. Now I just need to learn enough Catalan to understand my poetry anthology...

My sole purchase of the day, Cicle líric by Salvador Espriu

4 comments:

  1. The first part made me chuckle - we defy the rain in the name of books! :) This stand with The Little Prince books looks really adorable. And architecture is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is certainly no barrier to us! I loved The Little Prince books too - it was so tempting to buy some!

      And yes, there's so much lovely architecture in Barcelona :) I can't wait to see more of it while I'm here.

      Hope you're well,
      Lucy

      Delete
  2. I will be following your travel blog with interest, Lucy, and living vicariously through your adventures. Enjoy your time in Spain; eight months will fly by!
    Lee-Anne (Lily Oak Books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee-Anne! I hope to have some time soon to update the blog with my latest adventures :)

      I'll be sure to have a great time over here! And yes, time is already flying by!

      Hope you're well and enjoying lots of reading time,
      Lucy

      Delete